With all of this summer like weather we’re having in San Diego, it’s a good preview of what we have in store for the upcoming months. Sun, sun and more sun-it’s good for the soul, but not so good for the body. Breakouts, hyperpigmentation, sunburns, dehydration, etc. can all wreak havoc on our skin.
There’s one great solution for this...be a vampire. Yes, stay inside all day and only come out at night. Ok, so that’s pretty much not going to happen, right? I mean we all live here in San Diego for a reason and the weather is a big part of it. So, of course you want to enjoy the sun, but we need to protect our skin as much as possible. This means applying sunscreen (read my post on sunscreen if you haven’t already), wearing a hat and protective clothing and yes, staying out of the sun as much as possible.
Getting a facial in San Diego is very important because it can help repair and replenish sun damaged skin. Your skincare regimen at home also plays a vital role and besides your daily routine, you can add in a special treatment every so often.
Here are 5 tricks and treatments you can add to your summer skincare regimen:
1. Chill Out with Ice
- Prime skin: Before applying foundation, rub an ice cube all over your face, focusing on areas with large pores to create an extra smooth complexion
- Shrink a zit: put ice in a plastic baggie and place on area for 5-10 minutes to decrease inflammation and redness
2. Exfoliating Papaya Mask
- Papaya contains the enzyme papain which digests the keratin protein build up on the surface of the skin without causing excessive heat or inflammation
- Simply mash up the papaya and add honey or yogurt, spread all over face and leave on for 10-15 minutes, rinse with warm water and end with a splash of cold water
3. Banana Mask for Oily Skin
- Mash up 1 banana, add 2 TBSP honey and a few drops of juice from a lemon or orange. Apply all over face or to the oily areas (most likely the T-zone) and leave for 10-15 minutes. Remove with a warm washcloth.
4. Acne Basil Toner
- Crush up 3 TBSP of dried basil leaves and mix into 1 cup of boiling water. Once cooled, strain out the leaves and put into spray bottle. Spritz face and use a cotton ball to spread gently around face
5. Sunburn Treatment
- Soak a cloth in a bowl with equal parts milk, water and ice cubes and hold the cloth on the burned area for 5 minutes
Now that you have 5 more tricks in your summer skin care arsenal, you can go out and enjoy your day. As always, your friendly San Diego esthetician is here to help. Let me know if you have any questions or click here if you’d like to schedule an appointment online.