Common waxing Questions
Guidelines for before your wax appointment:
- If this is your first time waxing, we recommend receiving waxing services a month before you attend a special event or go on vacation, and see how your skin reacts. If everything is fine, schedule your next wax a day or two before your event
- The ideal length of hair prior to wax, is 1/4 inch long (think lower low lashes length) or longer
- In the days leading up to your appointment, be sure to exfoliate and moisturize, the body areas we will wax, daily. You can use a dry brush or a loofah sponge, against the hair growth
- Exfoliated skin means faster service, less irritation and less hair breakage
- Please let us know if you are using any topically or orally prescription for acne or anti-aging medications, including but not limited to: Accutane, Retin-A, Retinols, tazorac, avage, isotretinoin, prescription strength AHA's (Glycolic, Lactic, Salicylic acid)
- Doctors advice these patients to not have any waxing services. These medications can weaken the skin and lead to tearing and scarring of the skin. We regret to inform you that no waxing services will be performed on any clients using the above medications
- Don’t use any advanced skin care products such as Obagi, Vitamin A creams or any face prescription creams for at least 3 days after any facial or wax treatment. Your skin is tender after wax; these ingredients will make your skin react and cause sensitivities
- Don’t wax two weeks before and/or two weeks after any injections, such as Botox and Restylane.
- Don’t get a wax 7–10 days after a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or facial laser treatment
- No waxing or facial services of any kind will be performed on clients with a cold sore breakout on the day of the appointment (Herpes simplex I)
How long does it last?
The results can last between 3 - 4 weeks, depending on how fast your hair grows.
Over time you'll notice less hair regrowth. Plus, the hair will grow back softer and finer. We recommend waxing every 4 weeks.
Try to avoid shaving between your waxes, as shaving causes the hair roots inside your follicle to become thick again, making your waxing experience more painful. Shaving between waxes might also cause you to have more ingrown hairs. We recommend you wax at least 3 - 4 times, once a month, without shaving in between. You will notice amazing results; hair will be finer, there will be less of it, your wax service won’t hurt, plus your skin will not react at all!
Does it hurt?
Some pain is to be expected with waxing. But we think the worst part is the anticipation. The good news is that our technique minimizes any discomfort as much as possible. We will make you feel comfortable and secure – and we’re very skilled at handling nervous newbies! Once your first time is over and you understand what to expect, it’s a breeze!
For your own comfort we suggest to take an ibuprofen 1 hour before your appointment. Regular waxing appointments weaken the hair and the results are definitely worth it.
Clients often say “That was so much better that I imagined”, especially after their first time here at Wax Haus. We also get a lot of hugs, laughter and high-fives!
You will love it– we promise!
Will my hair grow back thicker?
Absolutely not! Waxing cannot stimulate your hair follicles to produce more or new hair. And will not cause your hair pigment and texture to change in any way.
In fact, regular waxing treatments, without shaving in between wax appointments, will make your hair quite sparse and thinner.
How can I prevent ingrown hairs?
Here at Wax Haus our focus is your experience and education. You will receive ALL the information you need to care for your skin properly. If you follow our instructions, you won't have any ingrown hair or irritation!
After any body wax is performed it's important to keep-up with exfoliation and keep your skin free of dead skin build up. Please wait five days before you start exfoliating to prevent irritation. After five days you can start using a body scrub, a dry body brush or a loofah sponge daily to lightly exfoliate.
We also carry products that help prevent ingrown hairs.
I’m pregnant, is it ok to get a bikini or Brazilian wax?
Congratulations! Yes, of course you can wax! We know it gets a little difficult to groom yourself and waxing is a great way to clean up, up until before the “big day”. You can come see us before your due date but it’s best to come in for a few sessions beforehand
I just started my period and I have an appointment scheduled..
No need to reschedule, this is pretty common (as you can imagine!) so please, don't be uncomfortable in any way! So if you are ok with that, so are we! (Tampons are required for your wax)
Post waxing care:
- Slight pinking of the skin is normal and should disappear within 8-14 hours after your waxing appointment
- Avoid heavy exercise,tanning beds, steam rooms, jacuzzi or any other heated sources for at least 48 hours after waxing
- Don’t have sex (yep that’s right, we said it, no sex – sorry) for 24 hours after a Brazilian bikini wax. Except if you know how your skin reacts after wax
- Avoid wearing tight clothing for the next 24 hours. Avoid fabrics like lycra and synthetic polyester. You best choice would be to wear cotton
- If you experience any hives or breakouts use hydro-cortisone or an anti-inflammatory lotion. A good choice would Aloe Vera or Tea Tree Lotions
- And of course, exfoliate and apply your PFB roller every two days till next time we meet! (About 4-5 weeks)
- You will receive our “Aftercare Instructions" brochure for more information! If you have any questions about your waxing service or after care at home, please do not hesitate to call us or email us